GMS Electrical Solutions is a company that focuses on electrical efficiency and power quality. We are the only company in the world to offer power filtration products with capabilities that are unmatched by any other product on the market. Please look around our site and contact us with any questions. We have the solution to fit your industry.
Protecting Against Power Surges
Small businesses, manufacturers, multinational corporations, research facilities and many other businesses recognize the need to address power quality risks – and the benefits that accrue from doing so.
The general approaches to managing power surge risks are relatively straightforward. However, specific applications must be customized to fit the unique needs of diverse operating environments and circumstances. Such applications are most appropriately designed and installed by experienced experts.
The basic tools to minimize the impact of power surges are:
- Install filtration devices against external sources at the point where external power is supplied to the business.
- Make sure that all systems have a common “ground” and enter the building within a few feet of each other.
- Keep communications and low voltage lines away from power cables within the facility and, when possible, have them cross at right angles.
- Add surge filtration at distribution panels within the facility if it includes large motors, welders, etc.
- Add surge filtration for individual pieces of sensitive equipment to the power connection and to any communications lines (e.g., phone cords, Internet cables or coaxial cables – cable television or cable Internet type connections).
- Assure electrical and telecommunications systems are designed and installed to minimize power disruptions.